On Saturday at around 11 am, I decided to go around the gated community where I live to find out check if the place was clean. To my pleasant surprise I found most of the places were clean and it was hard to find places that were not clean. I did manage to find some, which needed attention and cleaning.
On the sidewalk I found some rubbish and some papers thrown on the sidewalk. I thought that this issue has to be looked into because sidewalk’s are not to be used as a dustbin. People living in the community use the sidewalk usually for walking alone, in groups or with kids. If rubbish is lying around then it can hamper with people walking peacefully, kids could end up playing with the rubbish and accidentally end up stepping on it. This can result in them catching some infection and diseases .
As I started to move forward a few more steps along the sidewalk,I saw some potato chips packet made of plastic around a plant. I started wondering how will the water go to the roots of the plant if the chips packet are lying there. Without the water the plant will die. A dead plant is of no use as plants help in keeping the environment clean by inhaling CO2 and exhaling O2, which is good for us to be healthy.
I started moving forward and to my surprise found a few plastics bags lying around on the sand next to the sidewalk. I usually see kids and some elders going on a cycle on the sidewalk. If these plastics bags flew in the wind they can end up on someone’s face. This can blindsight them and end in some of them getting hurt and cause injuries.
On Sunday I went out in the evening to visit some friends and family. As I was coming back to my house, I saw lots of used paper cup and plates lying around in the parking
lot. I also found some needles strewn around. Used paper products with food sticking on them can create bacteria which can be harmful for us. Needles lying around can be dangerous as people can step over it and can get hurt, puncher the wheels of the cars and bikes which come and go out of the parking lot.
To my shock I also found lot of stagnant water in the parking lot. I could see lot of dirt and mosquitoes on top of the water. This can make people sick with some life threatening diseases like malaria, dengue, etc.
After my hectic weekend, it was time to go to school on Monday. On my way back inside my community, near the main gate entrance, I saw the beautiful pond full of
garbage, wastepaper, plastic bags and several other garbage. To my horror I saw some cows eating some of the paper and plastic bags. This can be very uncomfortable for
the cow as the plastic bags will not get digested and can get stuck in the intestines. Sometimes the cow can die because of this. On the other end near the pond I also saw garbage being burnt. The fumes from the garbage can be very unhealthy causing breathing problems and other related diseases.
I strongly believe garbage should not be strewn around but put in dustbins. This will keep the environment clean and help us be healthy.